Saturday, November 14, 2009

Dennett, Harris, Hitchens vs. Boteach, D'Souza, Taleb

I don't usually outsource my reviews to other (better) bloggers than myself, but I'll make an exception in this case and direct you to PZ's review of this debate. I have very little to add to that review, except to contest the idea that Hitchens successfully "[r]efutes the fine-tuning argument" and to say that I found Robert Wright's perspective refreshingly novel rather than muddled. I'd argue (presumably contrary to PZ) that we need more agnosticism and deism in God debates.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this was... THE worst. I wish I were a spanish speaker and had to have the arguments in favor of religion translated to me. I would have at least been able to tell myself that their points were somehow lost in translation, and that surely they were not standing up there... actually saying those exact things... that I'm hearing... that we are ALL hearing... in this public place.